Protesters against the COVID vaccine rally in Santa Monica.
A coalition of medical experts, first responders, parents, and students will gather in Santa Monica on Saturday to oppose Los Angeles' imminent COVID-19 vaccine requirement, which they claim will separate the city, create more hate, and violate the rights of tens of thousands of people.
The “S.O.S. California No Vaccine Passport Rally” is organized by the California chapter of Children's Health Defense, California Parents United, Latinos for Medical Freedom, Central Coast Health Coalition, Advocates for Physicians Rights, America's Frontline Doctors, Vaccine Injury Awareness League, Freedom of Religion — United Solutions, Protection of the Educational Rights of Children, and Freedom of Religion — United Solutions.
The rally at Tongva Park on Ocean Avenue was organized in response to a motion passed by the Los Angeles City Council on Aug. 11 directing the city attorney to draft an ordinance requiring people to show proof of at least partial vaccination against COVID-19 in order to enter the city's majority of public indoor spaces, including restaurants, bars, gyms, concert venues, movie theaters, and even "retail es."
Human rights attorney Leigh Dundes was set to speak, as was Dr. Simone Gold, creator of America's Frontline Doctors, media personality Will Wiitt, Los Angeles college student Noelle Fitchett, and Carlsbad chiropractor Dr. Cordie Williams.
Gold was detained and charged with disorderly conduct on Jan. 6 for his involvement in the rebellion at the United States Capitol. She later expressed regret for being present.
Additional speakers were slated to include a local firefighter, a first responder, a nurse, a teacher, parents, and a local Latino community leader, all of whom claim they face job loss if they do not cooperate.
The organizations oppose the vaccine mandate on a number of grounds:
- They assert that it will have no effect on the COVID-19 outbreak. “Those who receive the vaccine are nonetheless at risk of contracting and transmitting the virus,” they assert. “At the moment, responsibility is being placed on those who refuse to take the vaccination, with no scientific evidence to support the assertion that the pandemic is a ‘pandemic of the unvaccinated,' when fully vaccinated people are still dying from COVID and crowding hospitals.” Additionally, the groups assert such mandates disregard natural immunity of those who have previously contracted the virus and would "compel those who are already immune to COVID-19 to take the vaccine."
- They argue that it violates medical privacy by making private medical records public and violates the "fundamental tenet of the Nuremberg Code of Ethics, which dictates that the human subject's voluntary agreement prior to being enrolled in a medical trial is absolutely necessary." Threats of increasing one's health insurance premiums or termination if they refuse to get vaccinated, on the other hand, coerce someone into participating in a medical procedure. Coercion is not the same as consent!”
- They argue that it will create a "two-tiered society," increase segregation by prohibiting those who are not vaccinated from participating in society, and engender more hatred in Los Angeles. Additionally, they assert that "calling someone an anti-vaxxer solely because they have concerns about a new experimental injection with no long-term studies conjures up" memories of Nazi Germany, where Jews were accused of "spreading diseases they did not have."
- They are concerned that it may serve as a "precursor to a digital infrastructure that controls not only access to interior areas, but also education, employment, travel, banking, and potentially all movement or contact in society."
- They are concerned that after a mandate is established, officials would continue to request increasing numbers of vaccine "booster doses." (Federal officials have suggested that everyone who has been vaccinated receive a third dose of the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine to improve immunity.)
- They argue that it will be detrimental to small business owners when clients are denied access to stores.
Since the vaccines were first licensed for emergency use, federal, state, and Los Angeles County health officials have argued that they are safe and effective. Although vaccinated individuals can still contract and spread the coronavirus, officials assert that immunizations significantly minimize the risk. More crucially, they claim, they significantly minimize the likelihood that someone who does contract the virus would develop symptoms severe enough to necessitate hospitalization or even death.
According to the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, as of Aug. 15, 63 percent of the county's nearly 10.3 million citizens — including those who are not yet eligible for the vaccination — had received at least one dosage, and 55 percent are completely vaccinated. According to the government, investigators have identified 27,331 completely vaccinated individuals in Los Angeles County who tested positive for COVID-19 — fewer than 1% of all those immunized.
Additionally, the department reports that only 0.014 percent of fully vaccinated residents in the county are hospitalized, with 68 deaths, or 0.0013 percent.
The US Food and Drug Administration approved the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines for emergency use in December 2020, and the Johnson & Johnson vaccine for emergency use in February 2021.
According to the New York Times, the FDA is pressing for complete approval of the Pfizer vaccine as soon as Monday.
Tracy Henderson, founder of California Parents United and legal director of Utah Parents United, believes vaccination should be a personal choice and is concerned that requiring children to wear masks may have a negative impact on their health. “I believe that this is child abuse,” she told City News Service. “Children should not be harmed in order to protect adults' health.”
Henderson argues that the government should not be directing people how to care for their health in the first place, and she questions why the FDA has not already withdrawn the vaccines from use owing to safety concerns.
“Products have been withdrawn from the market in connection with 25 deaths... Why is the FDA authorizing something that has resulted in this many deaths?" she explained to CNS. “The remedy is always more painful than the disease.”
According to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, reports of mortality following COVID-19 vaccination are uncommon.
“From Dec. 14, 2020, to Aug. 16, 2021, the United States delivered more than 357 million doses of COVID-19 vaccination. VAERS collected 6,789 reports of mortality (0.0019 percent ) among those who received a COVID-19 immunization over this time period. The CDC stated that "reports of adverse events to VAERS following immunization, including deaths, do not always indicate that a vaccine caused a health problem." “A study of available clinical data, including death certificates, autopsies, and medical records, has revealed no evidence of a causative relationship between COVID-19 vaccinations and death. Recent findings, however, suggest a possible causative association between the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine and TTS, an uncommon and significant adverse event (blood clots with low platelet count) that has resulted in death.”
Henderson believes the number of adverse health events and deaths caused by the virus is larger than reported, and that hospitals are "overflowing with vaccinated patients."
However, the primary problem for her and those organizing the event is liberty: She believes immunizations and mask use should be left to individual decision.
"Clean your hands. If you are ill, stay at home. “Respect one another,” she stated. “I respect you if you choose the vaccine way. Simply do not compel me to do it.”