Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Justin Washington rapes innocent girl, near homeless shelter in Bronx

The Manhattan DA gives a sex offender a "sweet" deal. Bragg is accused of raping a teen and then attacks 5 other people.

The Post has learned that a man who was accused of raping a teenage relative got a good deal from Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg. The man is then said to have sexually terrorized five people in the Bronx just a month later.

Justin Washington, who is 25 years old, agreed in August to plead down to a charge of coercion in his Manhattan rape case. In exchange, he was told that he would get a good 30-day jail sentence and five years of probation.

But a week before he was supposed to be sentenced on Wednesday, Washington allegedly attacked four women and a man near the Bronx homeless shelter where he was living.

When the Manhattan District Attorney's Office heard about the arrest on September 15, they said they were going to rethink the sentence that was part of the plea deal, which some cops said should never have been offered in the first place.

"How does a man who raped an innocent teenage girl walk the streets and sexually attack five more innocent people, including a homeless woman?" One New York City cop was angry.

Another police source laughed at the 30-day sentence and said that Washington could have been locked up for up to 25 years for the original charge of rape.

"That's a pretty good deal. "He went from being accused of rape one and facing 25 years in prison, which is a long time, to only getting 30 days," the officer said.

"What a joke."

On Wednesday afternoon, Justin Washington goes to a criminal court in Manhattan to answer to charges of sexual assault and burglary.
On Wednesday afternoon, Justin Washington goes to a criminal court in Manhattan to answer to charges of sexual assault and burglary.

The second-degree coercion charge to which Washington agreed to plead guilty has a maximum sentence of 16 months to four years in prison, which is a lot more than the DA's offer of 30 days.

"These were very traumatic crimes, and he shouldn't have been allowed to walk the streets. A police source asked, "What about the teenager?" and added, "The DA should come up with programs for victims, not criminals."

Emily Tuttle, a spokeswoman for Bragg's office, defended the deal that Washington was first offered.

"Throughout this case, our experienced sex crimes prosecutors did a thorough investigation and kept in touch with the survivor's family. Based on the evidence, we decided that this was a good way to keep the young survivor from having to testify while holding Washington accountable for his actions," Tuttle said in an email.

"As the investigation into this week's very disturbing allegations in the Bronx goes on, we will decide whether to ask for a longer jail sentence."

Law enforcement sources said that Washington went to jail for the first time on February 23 after a teenage relative told police he raped her while they were watching TV together in East Harlem.

He was charged with first-degree rape, first-degree sexual abuse, and forcible touching. He was put in jail on a small $25,000 cash bail or a $50,000 bond, even though prosecutors asked the judge to set a $100,000 bail in the case.

About three weeks later, prosecutors dropped the charges against Washington from first-degree rape to third-degree rape because they didn't have enough evidence. A judge then agreed to lower Washington's bail to $12,000, and he was let out of jail.

Washington has never been arrested before and showed up to all of his court dates. However, court records say that last Thursday, less than a week before he was to be sentenced, he used his last days as a free man to commit a string of attacks.

At 8:20 a.m., prosecutors say, he crawled into the window of an 18-year-old man, put his hands in the man's underwear, and demanded money while holding the victim's buttocks.

"Can I get a dollar, bro?" Washington is said to have asked the victim, who said yes.

Prosecutors said the creep wouldn't take the dollar bill, but then asked for it again. He then told the victim, "Never mind, you're not getting it," and ran out the window.

About 40 minutes later, prosecutors and sources say that Washington crept up the fire escape of a building on Davidson Avenue and started banging on the apartment window of a 26-year-old woman who was home at the time with her 9-month-old son.

Justin Washington was set to be sentenced on Wednesday, but a week before that, he is said to have gone on a sex crime spree.
Justin Washington was set to be sentenced on Wednesday, but a week before that, he is said to have gone on a sex crime spree.

Prosecutors say that when the woman opened her blinds, she saw Washington masturbating on her fire escape.

Court records say that half an hour later, Washington broke into the apartment of a 49-year-old woman in the same building and tried to rape her.

Prosecutors say that he pushed the woman onto her bed, pulled up her nightgown, climbed on top of her, and masturbated while asking, "Can I get a dollar?"

Court records say that while the sicko pulled the woman's legs apart and smelled them, she bit his hand, scratched him, and then hit him over the head with a hammer.

Prosecutors say that 15 minutes later, Washington went to a woman's apartment on Aqueduct Avenue, put his hand through her bathroom window, stole her underwear, and then masturbated.

About five minutes later, Washington is said to have found his last victim, a homeless woman who was sleeping in the lobby of the Aqueduct Avenue building. This horrifying spree ended then.

Prosecutors said that surveillance footage showed him pulling the woman's pants down, touching her buttocks, and masturbating in front of her.

The 26-year-old woman who saw Washington allegedly masturbating on her fire escape said Thursday that the incident left her "shaken up," but Bragg's decision to give him a plea deal before it happened is just part of life in New York City these days.

She told The Post, "I'm not shocked that he was out on the street."

"Don't they do that?"

The NYPD's Bronx warrant squad found Washington two days later at a homeless shelter on Phelan Place. He was charged with a number of crimes, including attempted rape, burglary, forcible touching, and a sexually motivated felony.

The Bronx District Attorney's Office asked the court to put him back in jail, or to set a cash bail of $500,000 or a bond of $1,500,000.

The Manhattan District Attorney's Office said that they were rethinking the recommended sentence that came with the plea deal.
The Manhattan District Attorney's Office said that they were rethinking the recommended sentence that came with the plea deal.

In the end, the judge gave Washington a cash bail of $50,000 or a bond of $150,000 and sent him back to Rikers Island.

This week, the case will be put in front of a grand jury.

At his Manhattan case hearing on Wednesday, where he was supposed to get a slap on the wrist for the alleged rape in February, prosecutors asked Judge Laurie Peterson to postpone the case because of the recent attacks in the Bronx.

During the hearing, Assistant District Attorney Courtney Groves said, "We think the defendant broke the terms of the plea deal he made back in August. We want the defendant to be sent back to jail and the sentencing to be put off until we hear more from the Bronx."

The judge agreed, so the case was put off until September 28.

One police officer pointed out that Washington wouldn't have had to register as a sex offender under the plea deal. However, the officer also said that the deal didn't stop Washington from committing more crimes, which shows that the deal wasn't good enough.

The cop said, "I know they talked to the victim's family, but what about the other New Yorkers who could become Mr. Washington's victims in the future, like those five innocent people in the Bronx?"

"They wouldn't have been sexually assaulted if the district attorney hadn't given him this deal."

Adam Konta, who was appointed by the court to be Washington's lawyer in his Manhattan case, said he was waiting to look at the evidence about the attacks in the Bronx.

"We have a system that works where everyone is innocent until proven guilty," Konta told The Post over the phone, but he wouldn't say if his client has any mental health problems.

"There isn't enough evidence in the Bronx right now to know if this was Justin or not."


Shariff share buttons