A California couple and their 3-year-old kid were discovered dead at an Airbnb in Mexico during their vacation.
A California family's vacation to Mexico reportedly turned tragic when the couple and their 3-year-old kid were discovered dead in an Airbnb accommodation – apparently as a result of an apparent gas leak.
According to WSFA, Jose Nunez Jr., his wife Maria, and their son Jayden were all found dead in the same room at the Airbnb while visiting relatives in Mexico.
Trini Jacobo, the father's aunt, stated that no other family members were wounded while staying at the Airbnb.
“They are still in Mexico, and they will conduct an autopsy to ascertain the reason of their deaths. As a result, we are unsure of any information at the moment,” Jacobo told KBAK.
“We are not concerned with anything else at the moment; all we want is for our loved ones to return to the United States. Of course, we want to know what happened to them, but right now, our emphasis is on reuniting Jose, Maria, and Jayden,” she continued.
According to accounts, the couple left behind four further children.
“Simply a wonderful family. Both are extremely family oriented. Jose is arguably one of the best fathers I know — and not just because he is my nephew,” Jacobo remarked. “Devoted to his family. He is constantly embracing and holding them.”
A GoFundMe campaign established to assist with transportation and funeral costs has garnered over $12,000.
Airbnb described the situation as a "horrific tragedy" in a statement.
“Our team's sympathies are with the Nunez children and extended family as they mourn Jose, Maria, and Jayden's deaths. “Safety is important to everything we do at Airbnb, and we are launching a thorough investigation into what occurred,” the company stated.