Chris Wallace breaks his silence about CNN+'s demise, but he doesn't know what to do.
Chris Wallace, a veteran news anchor, spoke out about the sudden demise of the CNN+ streaming service. He said that his future at the left-leaning network isn't clear after the service is shut down.
Wallace's interview show, "Who's Talking to Chris Wallace?" is one of the shows that will no longer air when CNN+ shuts down on Saturday, which is about a month after the service was launched with a lot of excitement inside the network.
Wallace didn't say anything about his future when he was asked about it during a live-streamed Common Ground event on Sunday night.
"I will be fine. I'm in good shape, no matter where I am. My team and a lot of other people are what I'm most worried about right now. Wallace said that, and I agree with him.
300 people, I think, worked at CNN+. People who used to work for CNN are now working for CNN+. "I think you're going to see a lot of the anchors at CNN+ doing everything they can to protect the people who worked for them," he said.
Warner Bros. Discovery fired about 300 junior CNN+ employees as part of a cost-cutting plan after the $5.99-a-month service didn't do well at first. Wallace was one of the most well-known journalists in the service, which he joined after working for Fox News for 18 years.
Jeff Zucker and Jason Kilar, two former top executives who were fired, thought the news streaming service was a necessary part of the "wave of the future." Wallace said his new bosses have come to the conclusion that having a narrow, niche product like a news streaming service doesn't work.
In addition, Wallace said, "I have no idea which is right and which is wrong, but the Discovery people are in charge, and so they've made the choice."
Chris Licht, the new president of CNN, is said to have called it "a unique sh-tty situation" when he met with 400 employees at the network's New York headquarters last week.
As the Post reported last week, insiders thought that CNN had spent too much money on talent to support the streaming platform, including giving Wallace a $9 million-a-year deal. This is why the Post said that this week.
Wallace and other top employees who were affected by the decision to shut down CNN+ are likely to be moved around within the network or the larger Warner Bros. and Discovery media company.
Wallace has been talked about as a possible replacement for Chris Cuomo as the host of CNN's 9 p.m. show.